Let's say you have a set of carefully constructed styles in one Microsoft Word document. You wish to use these same styles in a new document. But you open a new document and find that the only styles available are Word's default styles. Do you start all over and reconstruct each and every style? No! This can be painstaking and time-consuming.
Instead, you can import Microsoft Word styles: all styles, or just select styles, from one document into another.
To import Microsoft Word styles:
1. On the menu bar, click 'Tools'. Click 'Templates and Add-Ins'.
2. In the 'Templates and Add-ins' screen, click 'Organizer'.
In the 'Organizer' screen, you see two boxes, side by side:
-The box on the left lists the styles present in your currently open document
-The box on the right lists styles present in your 'Normal.dot', which is your default template--the one that is used every time you open a new document
3. Click 'Close File' beneath the box on the right. The list of styles in that box disappear. The box is now blank.
4. Click 'Open File' beneath the box on the right. An 'Open' dialog box appears, with a list of files that are present in your 'Templates' directory.
5. Using the arrow button next to the 'Look in' drop-down box, or the navigational buttons along the left, browse to the directory that contains the document that you want to import Microsoft Word styles from. Select the document, then click 'Open'.
The document is now listed above the right box, and the styles contained within it are listed inside the right box.
6. Select the styles you wish import into your new document:
-To select all styles, click the first style, then scroll to the bottom of the list using the slider bar (using your mouse), then hold down SHIFT on your
keyboard while you click on the last style in the list.
-To select only certain styles, hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard while you use your mouse to click on certain styles. Make sure you hold down
CTRL for each style selected.
7. After you have selected the styles you wish to import, click 'Copy'. This copies the selected styles from the selected document into the currently open document. If there are any styles that have the same name(s), you will be prompted to overwrite the existing style(s). Click 'Yes to All' to overwrite the styles in your current document with the styles from the selected document. Or click 'No' if you do not wish to overwrite the style in your current document.
8. After the styles have copied into your current document, you will see them listed in the left box. You have completed your style import. Click Close.
To use the new styles, follow your normal procedure of selecting a block of text, and then applying a style to it by using the Formatting bar, or by selecting the style before typing a block of text. If you do not see your Formatting bar, click 'View', then point to 'Toolbars', and put a check mark next to 'Formatting.'